Monday, November 5, 2012

Birth story

So several months ago Kevin's dad said he wanted to go to the penn state Ohio state game in state college. This game fell on October 27th my 38 week gestation date. Now pregnancy is technically 40 weeks, but any time past 37 weeks you're supposed to be prepared for a baby right. So, to make a long prefix to a story a little shorter I didn't want Kevin to leave town, then found out if he didn't he would be pretty much just as unavailable to me on the 28th due to work. So I encouraged the fun option. Then an hour and a half into the game with Kevin out of reach and 5+ hours away my water broke. I was quite nervous, but I put the kids to bed, prepared my help and went to bed to pray for no labor. Labor didn't come..,phew and Kevin got home at 11 am Oct 28th with still no labor. Kevin's mom got into town at 3pm....still no labor. So, we headed to the hospital. At 4:30pm they started my pitocen drip and we began our slow acceleration into labor. I was dancing next to the bed doing squats anything to get this party started and at 6pm the party turned to breathe, relax and progress. My nurse was amazing, she had 9 children of her own all delivered w/o epidural and she was so helpful. She continually gave me new positions to help progress my labor and even taught Kevin proper counter pressure. It was an amazing difference with the counter pressure it almost completely relieved the discomfort. Also thanks to some hypno birthing techniques the "pain" of the contractions really did just feel like intense pressure and I was able to stay in a much more relaxed state physically and mentally. Another thing that made this time around easier was that I knew how to tell I was in transition so instead of the signs bringing fear they brought hope. Then my neighbor stopped by to bring dinner expecting that we would be in the beginning stages of the game, but instead she walked in right as I said I was having some involuntary pushing followed by me screaming "I feel like I have to take the biggest shit if my life!" So, Juli held my right hand; I was on my left side as Ethan crowned and that's when my serenity left and I began pushing while screaming. Then they told me if I wanted to pull him out to lay on my back so I rolled to my back and pushed/pulled him out onto my stomach (I'm pretty sure he was delivered in three contractions) Ethan Wiley was born at 7:28 pm. I'm much more wounded than I was with Audrey, but much less than I was with Karaline. Ethan is nursing well and we are all adjusting well to our new life. Also big bonus Audrey's still 98% potty trained :D and I'm still in shock I'm not pregnant.

4 comments:

  1. Love birth stories!!! Awesome job, mama!! So, so great!! Welcome to the world, little man!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Makes me want to do it again... it's just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Yeah it really is a hard thing to say "I'm done" it's an amazing blessing to be able to have healthy babies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Yeah it really is a hard thing to say "I'm done" it's an amazing blessing to be able to have healthy babies.

    ReplyDelete